A temple in honor of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God is located among the trees of the park in Yoshkar-Ola. Many famous public figures of Tsaryovokokshaysk found their earth houses here.
The temple in the name of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God was built at the urban cemetery of Tsaryovokokshaysk in 1774 thanks to the efforts of the merchant Stefan Vishnyakov. It was attributed to the parish of the Resurrection Cathedral. The temple had two altars, the main one was consecrated in honor of the Tikhvin Icon of the Most Holy Mother of God, and the side chapel was dedicated to the Saint George the Victorious. The church being of decent size and decoration, has a main temple that is a double-height quadrangle, a wide frater and a bell tower on the southwestern side.
Being assigned to the Resurrection Cathedral, Tikhvin Church also experienced all the events of parish life. On June 25, 1922, the cathedral community concluded an agreement on transfer of the temple building with all its property and Tikhvin cemetery church assigned for unlimited and free use. In 1926, at a meeting of the Mari Regional Executive Committee, it was decided to close Tikhvinchurch in order to use it “for the needs of the city”. The building was transferred on August 31, 1926. On the 16th of September, the Holy Sees from Tikhvinchurch were transferred to the Resurrection Cathedral in a cross procession with a bell ringing. In August 1927, part of the temple property was transferred to the religious community of John Evangelist church in the villageof Maskanur.
Subsequently, the building of Tikhvinchurch fell into disrepair, the city cemetery was also closed. There is now an amusement park on its site. In the 80s of the last century, the building was occupied by the slot machines, and later by a commercial company. The church restoration has been performed since the early 1990s. After the work completion in 1994, the temple was consecrated by Ioannes, the Archbishop of Yoshkar-Ola and MariEl. Since then, the regular services have been conducted. At present, the church interior has been renovated. A Sunday school is opened in the church.
You can find out more information on the website of the Yoshkar-Ola and Mari eparchy.