Trinity Church located on the bank of the Malaya Kokshaga River fascinates with its quiet beauty and grace. It is quiet, cozy, and decorated with the fretwork and national motifs. That is why Trinity Church is called open-work.
Trinity Church is one of the oldest in our city. Initially, the temple was wooden. The first known evidence of it dates back to 1646. The ground floor of the stoned Trinity Church was built in 1736, during the reign of Empress Anna Ioannovna. It is the oldest stone building in Tsaryovokshaysk. By 1757, the first floor of the temple was completed.
The church interior impressed with its luxurious utensils and icons. The most famous one was the carved wooden image of the Savior, sitting in prison in a crown of thorns. The wooden block had the inscription “From the archer 1695”.
The history of Trinity Church in Soviet times was very tragic: the services were suspended,the building was dismantled to the ground floor. For several decades the church ruins, overgrown with weeds, were located in the yard of the motor transport establishment.
In 1991, the remains of Trinity Church were returned to the Church, the construction works continued for almost a decade and a half. In May 2003, Ioannes, the Archbishop of Yoshkar-Ola and Mari El, consecrated the altar of the lower church in the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. The main altar in honor of the Holy Trinity, located on the first floor, was consecrated in May 2008.
You can find out more information on the website of the Yoshkar-Ola and Mari eparchy.