image/svg+xml

Yoshkar-Ola's tourist information center

(8362) 42-36-32
РУС

Ascension Cathedral

The largest bell in the Mari ElRepublicwith the weight of 5 tons, sounds from the bell tower of the Ascension Cathedral on the most significant holidays.

Ascension Church was built in 1756, during the reign of Empress ElizavetaPetrovna, thanks to the efforts and at the expense of the merchant Ivan AndreevichPchelin.

In terms of its architectural forms, Ascension Church is a typical monument of Russian architecture of the 18th century. It is built according to the octagon placed on quadrangle layout.

The clergy of Ascension Church, as well as other city churches, was engaged in educational activities. In 1915, a higher primary school, a women's gymnasium, a non-classical secondary school, a city men's parochial school, a city women's primary school located in Tsaryovokokshaysk, Varaksinsky ministerial two-year school, and Senkinskyterritorial elementary school functioned in the territory of the parish.

In December 1937, the church was closed. Later the building was transferred to the radio committee. In 1939 it was used as a beer warehouse, its last owner was the Yoshkar-Ola brewery.

The parish life of the church resumed in the mid-1990s.

You can find out more information on the website of the Yoshkar-Ola and Mari eparchy.

Yoshkar-Ola's tourist information center

г. Йошкар-Ола,
ул. Вознесенская, д. 39