Initially, Ascension bridge was wooden and built in 1822. It was the first bridge in the city that connected it with the eastern counties. The bridge abutments were equipped with the wooden icebreakers. The wagons could go in three lanes.
Ascension bridge was rebuilt several times. It became a pedestrian one, and in 1981 it was completely demolished due to the construction of a new reinforced concrete bridge, commissioned in 1991.
The bridge name is related toAscension Church located nearby.